John Crenshaw wrote:
> SQLite has plenty of date editing routines. Dates are stored in a double
> as a Julian date.
Well, that's one way of doing it.  I store them as strings because I
wanted a human-readable format.  The downside is that this requires 19
bytes instead of 8.  I wish SQLite could handle the storage optimization
behind the scenes.
> SQLite's understanding of "dates" is capable of
> supporting null, date, time, or datetime. The only real problem is that
> timezone is not stored, dates are always stored and retrieved in UTC,
> and dates with timezones are converted prior to storage.
Wow!  I didn't realize that SQLite supported timezones, but sure enough,
it does:

sqlite> select datetime('2009-10-28T22:54:52-05:00');
2009-10-29 03:54:52

Why isn't this documented at http://www.sqlite.org/lang_datefunc.html ?