On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM, John Crenshaw <johncrens...@priacta.com> wrote:
>> If the schema changes, a listing of every column can be
>> invalidated, but the asterisk cannot.
>
> This is only partly true. At some point, the code is going to need to
> grab the individual fields, and that is the point where the asterisk
> fails to serve you well.

Not really. Consider the following Perl code

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM table");
$sth->execute;

while (my $row = $sth->fetchrow_arrayref) {
  print join ", ", @$row, "\n";
}

Nevertheless, both you and Beau make important and valid points, the
most important one being, "nothing is written in stone... it all
depends." Although, I do believe that "SELECT * FROM" is bad habit,
and can lead to error prone code that may become difficult to
troubleshoot.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org