The SQLite Consortium membership would be great but so far this
newsgroup has answered every single one of my questions within a 2 hour
window of posting..for free!  (you guys frickin rock.)  So SQLite
development is purely guided by requests from consortium members?  There
aren't any planned features that the developers wish to include just for
maintenance or to add to already amazing feature set and polish of
SQLite?  As for buying the extension, I remember seeing it in the list
of professional support a few months ago but it currently isn't listed
anymore.

The limitations of the prepared byte code you mention are pretty
acceptable in our use case.  As you mentioned, my main reasons for
wanting this sort of feature is to reduce memory consumption and cpu
time from preparing statements and as an added benefit to have a
singular point where all prepared statements are located and could be
tested prior to use (granted, this could be done already via some
architecture and build process tweaks to my project). As for the byte
code not working with future versions of SQLite, we typically generate
the database file on the fly the first time the application is run, then
load it from disk for all subsequent runs.  This cached database is
destroyed whenever a newer version of the exe is built (so new version
of SQLite would just require us to invalidate our cache and regenerate
it).  The schema changes are a bit of a drag but would be rare and in
that case any prepared statement that is invalidated by them could just
be re-prepared.

Another potential feature that could benefit my usage and possibly
others is if prepared statements could use memory allocated from the
stack rather than the heap or if memory allocated for one statement
could be reused for another one (assuming that previous statement has
been completely finalized).  I can understand this being very tricky to
implement since you must clearly define what items have the same
lifetime as the statement and which ones may be passed on later (ie.
strings).

It's not an absolute requirement for me right now though, just a nice to
have.  So far I've really been impressed with the performance of SQLite
and the ability to bind parameters to prepared statements has met many
of my needs.  In fact, the only major problem I've had with SQLite is
that the amount of polish has spoiled me and often makes me disgusted
when using other third party libraries which I won't name. (If only
other libraries had 100% branch coverage..)

-Shaun