After searching around the web, it seems I can't expect the SELECT
syntax in my earlier post to work but that repeating the aliased
column logic as part of the sum function will work so I tried that and
it does indeed total things up for me.

But, it now only gives me one row in the result with columns from the
last selected record plus the a column for the sum function.  What I
was hoping to get was all the individual rows that qualify in the
WHERE clause with a column containing the sum for all the selected
rows tacked on to each row.

After thinking about that, I'm feeling like that is probably not going
to be possible but just on the off chance, is there a way to do that?

Pete Haworth