Ok, thankyou for your replies

@Igor: I think you misunderstood. I only have one connection to the
database (provided by the JDBC driver). I only care about and use that
one connection (no other applications access the database). I was
wondering if database trigger could be used to notify the application
(for example, have a trigger (via CREATE TRIGGER etc) that gets
triggered when a table is updated).

@J. King: Do you mean like what is described here?
http://www.webdotdev.com/nvd/content/view/347/99999999/1/9/
I was trying to stay away from hacking SQLite directly (remember its a
Java application im developing, so I cant just extend the C library)