On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 01:21:08PM -0500, Igor Tandetnik wrote:
> Nicolas Williams <nicolas.willi...@sun.com> wrote:
> > IMO you'll have two types of text to sort: a) generic text (e.g.,
> > proper names), b) localized text (e.g., message catalogs).  For (a)
> > you'll want
> > to pick a collation, _any_ collation.
>
> Actually, you may want to choose a collation familiar to your
> application's user. After all, she's the one looking at the list of
> names, the one you have to convince the list is in fact sorted.

Indeed, that's one way to pick a collation.  But you might not always be
able to do even that!  Suppose you need to print a checklist and post it
on a wall/door/whatever, and have various people update it.

> E.g. Windows has the concept of default locale and sort order, chosen
> by the user (Control Panel | Regional and Language Options). I imagine
> other operating systems provide something similar. You wouldn't
> normally want to build indexes using this collation though, as it can
> change at any time (in fact, with multiple users sharing the same
> database, you may end up sorting the same data in two different ways
> at the same time). It's only good for sorting on the fly.

Right.  For indexes you need a collation.  You might keep multiple
indexes built with different collations, but that sounds like a waste of
resources (unless you have very static data).

Nico