On 22 Jan 2010, at 2:19pm, Michael Thomason wrote:

> Thank you.  I like that answer and I'll give it a try.
>
> The application is a word game, and I have a dictionary of words.  The
> user enters a word, and the application checks against that word to
> see if it exist.  That's the only query ever used.

For that particular use, I do not think that any SQL engine is going to help.
You are better off scanning a text file even if your dictionary is a few
megabytes in size.  The words as a text file will be smaller than any database
could be, and the scanning (if correctly written and optimised) should not take
longer (for a 12MB text file) than a user would expect to wait for their turn.
You will need to pick a delimiting character, perhaps ',', and your file should
look like this:

,mankind,ape,car,daffodil,

with the delimiters appearing at both the beginning and end.  When scanning the
file you look for

,myword,

and all your routine needs to return is whether it was found or not.

Simon.