Hey all, we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner and we're trying to
find the best way out. Through an oversight during initial development, we
defined a column as not null in our schema and we need to drop that not null
constraint.

Since sqlite3 doesn't support altering columns, I know the typical way this is
done is to create a new table and copy the data. However, we have hundreds of
thousands of sqlite databases on our servers using this schema with large data
sets, and it'd be a super expensive operation to do. Logically, dropping a not
null constraint shouldn't be expensive at all, it's just a limitation of the
current sqlite3 language. So we're looking for alternatives. Does anybody have
experience with this? I've even considered cracking open the db files directly
and modifying the text of the table definition to remove the not null, which as
far as I can tell should work fine, but is a bit scary. Thanks for any advice!

-- Brian Palmer