On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 08:09:26PM +0100, Jérôme Magnin scratched on the wall:

> > The database is 2GB
> > but the least amount of memory I have is 4GB.  I also use a 32kb page
> > size,
> > larger cache etc.
> I have of course tried to increase cache size and database page size (up
> to 32K) but the effect was
> not really measurable. I therefore (maybe too quickly) have classified
> such parameters as weak-working
> ones for my particular problem, although I admit I also had great hopes
> about how they would impact the indexing
> performance. This lack of observable effect remains a mystery to me. The
> only clue could be that the Python SQLite wrapper (my package is
> Python-based) does actually not correctly forward the "PRAGMA xxx"
> commands to the SQLite engine.

  You said you're creating two databases.  Are you doing those one at a
  time or ATTACHing the other databases?

  The reason I ask is because each database has its own cache, so you
  need to be sure you bump up the cache size on the database that has
  the index in it.  If that isn't the "main" database, you need to use
  the format "PRAGMA database.cache_size = value", or you're changing
  the wrong cache.

  I'm really surprised you're not seeing something from an increased
  cache size.  It has always made a very noticeable difference in my own
  manipulations, but I think the largest table I've ever worked with
  "only" had 6M rows.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson