Mark,

> Can you offer any advice on how to
> stop the files being written, and remove the
> programme(s) that are writing these files.

Hello, I'm (simply) a member of the sqlite mailing list.

As you probably know, it is not sqlite itself that is creating these files, but
some program on the system which incorporates sqlite -- and we have no *direct*
way of determining what program that is.

I googled briefly and found the following two links which may well be relevant
regarding the BBC's iPlayer and the service Kservice.exe:

   http://hintofsarcasm.com/2006/01/12/sky-by-broadband

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/451685-massive-sqlite-temp-files-filling-hard-drive-help.html

If the symptom described in the above links does not fit your situation,
perhaps I could suggest:

1) Downloading one of the many sqlite GUI front-end programs, and see if either
the column/table names, or the data values themselves give you some hints as to
what program may be at fault.

2) If #1 is beyond your capabilities, you might take one of the smaller sqlite
files, compress it, and email it to me directly, and I will make a quick
look-see.

Perhaps others on this mailing list have better suggestions.

Hope this helps,
   Donald Griggs