On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Jean-Christophe Deschamps <j...@q-e-d.org>
wrote:
>>NULL = 12345 is NULL, NOT NULL is NULL, so subset N is not part of NOT
>>(col = 12345).
>
> You're right of course!  (and I was even saying about nulls treated apart)
>
> But, in your view, that the set can be non-contiguous for
> negative/negated conditions would it explain that current code can't
> make use of index?

I haven't been able to think of how it would preclude using the index,
but I suspect it's more a matter of needing a similar-but-different
codepath to optimize for the NOT case, rather than a simple "invert
this" codepath relying on the existing case.  Which is really just
another way of stating Jay's point, perhaps.

-scott