I'm sitting here banging my head trying to decide the subject for this post
because I don't know what I'd call what I want to do :)

Here's what I want to do but don't know how. The schema is simplified for
discussion.

CREATE TABLE program (time_received INTEGER, name TEXT);
Assume indices where appropriate for performance.

The table has roughly 10K entries.

I'd like a select that gets all programs received within the last 10 days
and then order the results by name. However, if there are less than 50
results say because there aren't 50 programs that fit the time crieteria, I
need to keep getting records, the next newest records until I hit 50 of
them.

This can't be that difficult but I'm just not seeing :(