Hello,

I would like to make an SQLite database as small as possible to transfer
it over a slow link. Currently I am dropping all custom indices, run
VACUUM and compress the file with lzma -9.

However, I noticed that if I dump the entire database into a text file
with the SQLite shell and then compress the text file, the result is
significantly smaller than the "stripped" compressed database:

Full database: 146 MB
Without Custom Indices: 117 MB
Compressed: 13 MB

Dumped DB: 181 MB
Compressed: 6.8 MB

Is there a way to strip even more redundancies from the DB for the
transfer (e.g. the automatically created indices for primary keys)?

Alternatively, is there an easy way to dump and recover the DB using the
standard API rather than the SQLite shell? (Obviously I could write a
dump program myself, but I'd be nice if there is a solution that
requires less work).

Best,

   -Nikolaus