On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> SELECT * FROM names WHERE name = 'bob'
>
> On 26 Apr 2010, at 3:54am, jason d wrote:
>
> > Hello Simon,
> > First , thank you for responding.
>
> You're welcome.  New text below the text you're quoting, please.  English
> is read top to bottom.
>
> > Yes maybe in the email i used double quotes, but I have actually tried
> every
> > quote/ quoteless combination.
> > In fact initially the SQL was in single quotes.
>
> You do not want quotes of any kind around 'name'.  Try it exactly as I
> wrote it below and see if that works.
>
> > It does not work as
> > expected, no results are returned an no error is thrown.
>
> Then you have no records in your table that match your search criterion.
>  Are you sure you really do have a record for 'bob' ?  How do you prove it ?
>
> Simon.

sorry about the top posting.

I believe you misunderstood my problem. Its not that records dont exist. and
select statement for Bob does work. a select * does display all the data.
 its the names with dashes that dont shows up. and i have 40,000 records.
any with dashes do not give any result on a pure select statement. but if I
select on any other column and then work on the resultset it is ok. for
example I may choose column projectname since it does not have a dash (-) in
it. The information is clearly there, just its as if it does not equate to
anything at all.

SELECT * from Groups WHERE name = 'jean-baptiste' ; zero result.

returns zero results and yes it is in database.

sorry but i just tried this.