I would probably take mysql or postgresql, to be able to use the "prepared
statements" and other facilities.
I don't see any point to implement this kind of system.

or same api as sqlite but the open is taking an url instead,
but you have to re-write the api of sqlite.
In this case, I can see the benefit of keeping the same code, but as a
workaround for some additional non planned requirements, to use a sqlite
server instead. (the code stays untouched, just use another dll, same
functions same results)

anything I missed?

Best regards,
Sylvain