I mentioned a while back that .import can be made to work with
flexible number columns by setting a mode that says 'ignore column
error on import'.  The idea is that SQLite can import from csv files
where the number of columns is not known.

I looked that the code for import.  If there was a column mismatch,
the code would simply leave the unused columns with the '?' symbol,
and otherwise have no effect, nor would it be in any data input path.
Old applications which detect number column  error would not be
impacted, since they do not set the ignore errors on input mode.

New code could take advantage of swallowing csv files regardless of
the number of columns.  Great for searching through arbitrary spread
sheet output, I suspect lot of applications for this.