On 26 May 2010, at 10:04pm, jdee5 wrote:

> I am looking for an SQL engine that is easy to install and sqlite seems like
> the right way to go.  I have an application (currently just for network use
> on a LAN) and I want to move to using SQL, my application is fairly small
> and simple and I like the idea of embedding SQL and using SQLite so my end
> user doesn't notice any difference from my current application...however,
> more than 1 person may want to access the db at a time does SQLite allow for
> this?

Yes.  SQLite supports locking for multi-user and multi-process access.  It is
unusual in that it locks the entire database file rather than individual
records, but the SQLite calls you make handle multi-user access correctly.  You
/will/ have to make your application aware of how to handle the errors which
arise if one user keeps the database locked so long that the other user can't
access it.  I recommend you read this page (though you don't have to memorise
it all):

<http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html>

> Can it just sequentially record transactions as they are made even if
> made simultaneously... I have search all over and can't come to a clear
> conclusion, I am also very new to using SQL.

Under most circumstances, even if two programs are entering transactions at the
same time, SQLite will handle this without the programs having to be aware of
it.  However, make sure you handle the SQLITE_BUSY and SQLITE_LOCKED errors
correctly.  I hope someone can recommend a page which breaks down how to do
this.

Simon.