On 29 May 2010, at 2:30am, Jim Terman wrote:

> I want the 'rowid' of the view. In other words I'd like to now what row
> John Smith is in the view. I can do it with a view that is ordered by
> using count(*), but I wondered if there was a better way.

I believe that a view is just a window into an existing table: a way of saving
the terms of a 'SELECT' statement so you don't have to keep restating it.
Therefore it has no data of its own, including no rowids of its own.  Try doing
'SELECT rowid FROM phonebook_order' and see whether you get any result at all,
and whether the numbers are in order.

Simon.