Simon Slavin wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2010, at 1:14am, Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>> What are some examples of the proposed SQL replacements that do this?
>
> You might be interested in NoSQL, or in databases which have no schema: every
> piece of information is a property of an object.  Please note: I am not
> recommending these systems, or saying that I use them; I'm just talking about
> database theory.

Yes, I understand.  And similarly, a relational database doesn't have to have a
schema, where "schema" means a pre-defined set of relvars/tables with specific
attributes/columns that restricts what data the relational database may hold,
though it is typically a good idea to use a schema.  With a sufficiently smart
relational DBMS, users never have to explicitly define indexes and the DBMS can
implicitly figure out for itself how to optimize the way the database is used
or
cached or indexed for best performance.  If users ever explicitly define
indexes, this is more of a hint to a DBMS to assist it figuring out how to best
performance, rather than being necessary to have good performance at all. --
Darren Duncan