On 8 Jun 2010, at 10:47pm, Scott Frankel wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:
>
>> Either write a program to read record-by-record and write record-by-
>> record, or use PostgreSQL functions to write to SQL commands then
>> execute those commands to create a new SQLite database.
>
> Before heading down the path of issuing record-by-record statements, I
> thought there might be some hope with generic SQL commands or bulk
> importing ... a newbie's hope ;)

SQLite includes a command-line tool which can be used to dump a database to a
text file of SQL commands, or read the text-file and use it to create a new
database.  If PostgreSQL has an equivalent tool, you can do it all without
writing a line of code.  Better still, you'll have the text file which will act
as an excellent backup of your data in case something goes wrong.  (You may
have to use a text editor to make minor changes to the format of the SQL
commands.)

When I backup any SQL database for long-term archive purposes I always back it
up as SQL commands, never in its native file format.  This means I don't have
to worry about trying to find some software to read an obsolete file format.
(Assuming that there will be software which can read a .zip file for the
foreseeable future.)

Simon.