for some reason, I remember you asking the same question not too long
ago, and getting a bunch of answers. I recall chipping in with an
answer myself. DIdn't any of those answers help?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Navaneeth Sen B
<navanee...@tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I would like to know more about this BLOB support in SQLite. Some of my
> queries are:
>
>   1. One of my colleague suggested that using BLOB support for storing
>      images in the DB is a good idea, whereas storing AVCHD data(huge
>      size) as blobs is not a good idea. I need a bit more clarification
>      on this statement.

What is the clarification you need? I remember writing that (in my
wisdom), it is better to store large binary objects such as big video,
audio or image files in the file system, and store the metadata for
them in the db. If you have many, many small items, storing them
directly as blobs in the sqlite should be very quick and helpful, but
other than that, storing them in the file system may be better. Did
you experiment with one or the other?

>   2. I just want to know how does this BLOB support help in increasing
>      the performance?

Don't know. Only you can tell, based on your usage scenario and your
performance expectations.

>   3. What is the difference produced in storing the file inside DB(not
>      in blob format) and storing the same file in BLOB format in the DB?

What do you mean by "What is the difference produced"? Which
difference and produced from what? If stored correctly, you will have
the same item in the db as would have been in the file system, so
which difference are you talking about? If you are talking about the
mechanism itself, well, we went through that earlier and above as
well... the db does all the homework for you regarding where to store
the files, even what to call them, if you implement that, etc. But, of
course, you can't access those files directly if they are in the db.
You have to get to them via the db only.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org