> do I need to do a lot of locking?

You don't need to do it, SQLite will do that for you. And it doesn't
matter whether both applications write to the same table or different
ones - as long as they write to the same file those writes will be
serialized by locking made inside SQLite.

But you have to be aware of SQLITE_BUSY code that can be returned from
SQLite functions, so be sure that you process it properly.

Pavel