I know the SQlite developers take testing quite seriously

http://www.sqlite.org/testing.html

with 679 times as much test code as actual code in the database.

In fact, I've often pointed to the above page when trying to get the developers
of the Sage maths software to pay a bit more attention to testing.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/eba06b53be7cd176/e938667e199bfce4?lnk=gst&q=sqlite#e938667e199bfce4

However, I was somewhat surprised when I run 'make check' to see there is no
test suite shipped as part of sqlite. Whilst I realise you do  a lot of testing
and it's impractical for an end user to do all this, I would have thought a
minimal test suite that tests 100 or so things would be useful. Often bugs in
compilers or operating systems display bugs that are not seen by the
developers.
That would be especially useful if someone is using a rarer platform like AIX,
HP-UX, or building in a less common way (like forcing 64-bit builds on Solaris,
as someone was asking about).

Dave