On 6 Jul 2010, at 6:05pm, Martin Knafve wrote:

> On my PC, INSERT's with fsync disabled
> is ~50 times faster than when fsync is used, so I would expect enabling
> WAL to give me at least a 500% speedup. Of course, my assumptions are very
> rough and I understand that I'm likely far off.
>
> Am I missing something here? What kind of performance improvments should I
> expect on INSERT statements not taking part in a transaction when using
> the WAL?

All INSERT statements take part in a transaction -- SQLite cannot make changes
which aren't part of a transaction.  If you haven't explicitly declared a
transaction before the INSERT statement, SQLite creates a transaction
especially for that one INSERT statement.  So to dramatically speed up a bunch
of INSERT statements, put BEGIN TRANSACTION ... COMMIT around the whole bunch.

Simon.