My two cents, to complement other answers: leave it to the user. In
case of a client-side GUI app, let the user run some maintenance
action, like an OS has "defragment disk" action, or Outlook has
"compact folders" action. In case of a server-side app, make a script
or admin command to do that.

Hope this helps!
-- Igor