On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 02:22:37PM -0700, Roger Binns wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 01:52 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> > What do you mean, "immediately"?  As I said, my child comes to life,
> > does some work without touching (its copy of) existing SQLite strucures,
> > and then calls exit(2).
>
> I'll bet you are actually getting exit(3) which means anything registered
> with atexit will be run.  (SQLite does not register with atexit.)

Oh, duh.  I forgot that distinction.  Yes, exit(3), not exit(2).  (Any
library with atexit handlers should check the process' PID if fork-
safety is an issue, and do nothing when called on the child side of a
fork().)

> In my wrapper I provide functionality that can check SQLite objects are not
> being used across processes.  The way it does this is by providing an
> alternate mutex implementation (almost every SQLite operation acquires and
> releases mutexes) and verifies the mutex is used in the same process id it
> was allocated in.  In a benchmark doing only SQLite operations I found a 1%
> performance hit.

The trick to making that go fast is to use pthread_atfork() to get the
new PID on the child side of fork() and store the PID in a global
variable so that you don't need to call getpid().

Nico