From: "Jay A. Kreibich" <j...@kreibi.ch>
To: "Jay A. Kreibich" <j...@kreibi.ch>
Cc: "General Discussion of SQLite Database" <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:16:10 AM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] restricting values allowed in a column

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 09:12:09AM -0500, Jay A. Kreibich scratched on the
wall:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 01:45:50PM +0000, c...@comcast.net scratched on the
> wall:
>
> > I would like to restrict the values that are entered into
> > the "recommendation" column.
> >
> > How would I state that at the time I create the column in that table?
>
>   Using a CHECK constraint.
>
> > Since that table/column exists today without any restrictions, how
> > do I alter it to restrict the values entered?
>
>   You can't.  You need to build a new table and copy the data over.

  I should have been more specific...

  You can't add a CHECK constraint to an existing table.

  You could also limit values with a set of BEFORE INSERT and BEFORE
  UPDATE triggers.  Triggers can be added to an existing table.

   -j

--
Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y  @  K R E I B I.C H >

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson