Hi Drake,

Thanks for your comments below, I really appreciate your insight on this ;-)

Lynton

-----Original Message-----
From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of Drake Wilson
Sent: 30 September 2010 12:29 PM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] SQLite is perfect for FILE based MESSAGE QUEUE?

Quoth Lynton Grice <lynton.gr...@logosworld.com>, on 2010-09-30 12:05:18
+0200:
> BTW: What is WAL

WAL mode uses a write-ahead log instead of a rollback journal, which
can help reduce write activity but requires the use of shared memory
to keep things consistent between database handles.  If I were doing
queues in SQLite I would use WAL mode if possible, based on what I
read at http://sqlite.org/wal.html.

> Also what is the "worst that can happen" with regard
> to:
>
> "...rollback journal activity multiplying the number of synchronized
writes.
> "

The rollback journal essentially implies that each transaction gets
synced twice: once to keep the old data in the rollback journal, and
once to write the new data.  o/` Double the fsyncs, double your dues;
it's a statement per transaction with SQLite queues. o/`

Problems I can imagine with a plainer ring-buffer-like approach would
be along the lines of unclear semantics on the platform side regarding
which writes are stable with regard to others, such as whether a crash
in the middle of an append is able to corrupt data from beforehand.
ISTR SQLite doing fairly extensive work to overcome these kinds of
limitations in some cases.

> Thanks again
>
> Lynton

   ---> Drake Wilson