On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM, pipilu <pipi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is:
> Is it possible to use FTS3 for search without storing the actual file
> contents/search terms/keywords in a row. In other words, create a FTS3
> tables with rows that only contains an ID and populate the B-Tree with
> keywords for search.

John, technically if you ask " without storing", the answer is no. But the
way of how you could implement this depends on what you want from your
search. If only keyword search (without phrases or complex queries), then
it's a simple task: create two tables (keywords and index) and develop a
simple parser (you don't really want the power of fts3 here)

But if you want phrases, you have to provide ordering information about your
words. In this case you can use fts3 for the search and the only drawback is
that fts will keep the copy of your texts. But my experience showed that
fts3 index was implemented very effectively. I have my own implementation of
full-text search made with general sqlite tables and I compared a real data
for both and even if the texts are excluded from fts3, the index will take
twice as lower space for the same pool of articles. So there's a real chance
that even if you implement something that doesn't store the texts, you will
end up with a bigger index

Max Vlasov
maxerist.net