On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:32:28 -0700, Dustin Sallings
<dus...@spy.net> wrote:

> I realize sqlite3_analyzer will give me some good
> data for general use, but I'd like to be able to
> do this from within my app.  Does anyone have a
> lib-like thing I can use, or an internal sqlite API
> that can help me out here?
>
> Mostly, I want to have an idea how fragmented I am.
> My app can tremendously wreck a sqlite table right
> now to the point where a reconstruction (vacuum, etc...)
> is the difference between three hours and one minute.
> I'd like to know when things are getting bad.

PRAGMA page_count; and PRAGMA freelist_count; will give you
some info, but not as much as sqlite3_analyzer.
It might be enough in your case.

Running a full analysis takes quite some time, you might as
well start a VACUUM periodically. I would suggest to run it
with half the frequency you intend to run the analysis. That
way the time spent to this kind of housekeeping will be
about the same.

And you could consider
PRAGMA auto_vacuum =  0 | NONE | 1 | FULL | 2 | INCREMENTAL;

--
  (  Kees Nuyt
  )