I would like to inform the group that I managed to resolve the issue with a
workaround. I am not sure if this is a bug in vista or whether there might
in fact be some slight issue with sqlite...

The problem seems to be hardware and software related, and occurs for me
when my application is running on Windows Vista and is opening a database on
a networked drive (running Windows Small Business Server 2008) with the
read-only flag. Running sql queries on the database after this will
return SQLITE_BUSY when  no one is using the database. Once the application
is closed and restarted the error does not re-occur. This is highly
reproducible once per day (in the morning after the machine has powered down
the screen only, it doesn't go to sleep).

Removing that flag and making sure I only open databases in read-write mode
has resolved the problem. I have tested this thoroughly over a period of
many days.

As I said I'm not sure if this is an sqlite bug or not (and I'm sure very
difficult to reproduce) but I'm writing this in case anyone else has the
same problem in the hope it helps them.

cheers Serena