Aha!

I've got AUTOINCREMENT keys in both regular and temporary tables.  This results
in
two sqlite_sequence tables, one in sqlite_master and one in sqlite_temp_master.
 And evidently, if I have a permanent and a temporary table with the same name,
a query that doesn't specify gets the temporary table.  If I do "SELECT * FROM
main.sqlite_sequence" I see what I'm looking for.

Will