On 2/1/2011 11:30 AM, Ian Hardingham wrote:
> If I wish to make this modification now, what steps would I need to
> take?

Export data from the table, drop table, recreate table with the new
schema, import data back. Update all queries from LIKE to =.

> And in your opinion what % of the optimisation of doing it with
> integers would this provide?

Test it, find out. Create a table having an INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column,
and another with TEXT PRIMARY KEY COLLATE NOCASE column. Fill both with
dummy data. Run queries that are common in your application. See what
timing you get.

Igor Tandetnik