On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Marcus Grimm <mgr...@medcom-online.de>wrote:

> > I should've realized it wasn't running this fast but the small 5000
> record
> > size got me.
> > Test it yourself.
> > I do have a 7200RPM drive.  My 261.4 numer is still 2+X your theoretical.
>
> I don't want to be a smart-arse, but I still think your 261.4 is to fast.
> On a 7200 RPM drive one will have 125 chances/sec to see a sector to be
> written. Since sqlite, under normal journal mode, will need 3 syncs
> per commit as far as I can recall, the maximum number drops further
> down to 41 commit/sec. This is theoretical, in reality one will see
> maybe 20 commits/sec. Not sure if a disc write-cache will interfere
> with that caluclation, though.
> Am I wrong ? :-)

Interesting, I did a test on a 7200 file and the best I could do was 50
commits per second (a simple base/table with only id, journalling off and no
extra code since the tool I use has "a repeated query" option with accurate
timing). You mentioned 3 syncs per commit, but I tried to look at the log of
Process Monitor for the tool process and I saw only one entry with
'FlushBuffersFile' that is as I suppose was a mirror name for
FlushFileBuffers in winSync of sqlite so probably 3 syncs was a too big an
estimate, wasn't it? In this case 50 commits per second looks reasonable
limit

Max Vlasov