On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Jean-Christophe Deschamps <j...@antichoc.net
> wrote:

> >So if the drive is 5400 rpm, 227 is much more than 5400/60=90 and even if
> >it's 7200 (manufacturers sometimes upgrade drives inside portable hd
> >without
> >prior notice), it's still twice as much as 7200/60=120.
>
> 5400/60, 7200/60 ... those values rely on the assumption that
> successive LBAs are mapped to successive physical sectors (512 or 4K,
> whatever) on the same face of the same plater.  Is it obvious that all
> today's typical stock drives actually implement only that simple old
> scheme and not an untold mix of various interleaving techniques?

This is true for the case of writing multiple records or multiple sectors.
For example, if you have a drive with 5000 sectors per track and you write
sector 1 of the track with a hard sync, you may have time to write sector
2500 with a hard sync in the same revolution.  Or maybe you can write every
500 sectors with a hard sync in the same revolution, giving you a commit
rate of 10 per revolution or 900 commits per second on a 5400 rpm drive.

But what I postulate is that you can't physically write *the same* record
over and over more than 90 times per second on a 5400 rpm drive, unless the
drive, OS, or filesystem implements something like wear-leveling, where the
physical location of sectors is constantly changing.

Jim
--
HashBackup: easy onsite and offsite Unix backup
http://www.hashbackup.com