On 16 Feb 2011, at 5:28am, David M. Cotter wrote:

> iTunes has "update search results as you type" speed even when you have a
> hundred thousand songs and you're searching on a partial string on all meta
> data columns.
>
> how on earth do they do that?
>
> i'm under the impression it uses CoreData, which in turn uses SQLite under
> the hood.
>
> how can i make my partial string searches searches thru multiple columns go
> that fast? FTS seems to imply it can make things blazing fast.  is that
> really true?

For just a hundred thousand tracks, most of which don't have anything in
subsidiary fields like 'Composer', SQLite can do it that fast itself.  But
SQLite has an extra chunk called FTS4 which pre-indexes the contents of the
database for partial text searches like that:

http://www.sqlite.org/fts3.html

iTunes may be using that.  Or it may not.

Simon.