On 18 févr. 2011, at 16:51, Philip Graham Willoughby wrote:

>> malloc returns a 64 bit pointer of type void *
>
> No, from the caller's point of view it returns an int if you haven't included
> <stdlib.h>.

Indeed. I assumed the programmer had included the standard headers. On my
system, any implicit declaration is punished by a warning, or even an error
depending on the strictness of the settings. Since we were in the context of
casting to shut up one warning, I assumed no implicit declaration warning, so
no implicit declaration at all.

I guess that's where my assumption fails: I suppose implicit declarations
elicit no warning on your system.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jean-Denis