On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:12:31 -0500, Pavel Ivanov <paiva...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [snip] On
> Windows it’s different - process is much more heavy-weight object than
> thread and involves much bigger system load to support it. There’s an
> official general advice for Windows: better create a new thread in the
> same process than a new process.

Mr. Ivanov explained what I was saying better than I did.  My unclear
offhand comment about fork()/exec() was an allusion to why *nix developed
much lighter-weight processes than Windows, viz., decades of a
fork()/exec() custom and practice.  (Indeed, I believe that’s precisely
why Linux went to the trouble of re-engineering fork() with COW.)  I
intended to address the overhead of running, and inadvertently introduced
a red herring about overhead of starting.

Speaking as a user, by the way, I don’t think I actually have *any*
Windows applications which use worker processes for concurrency the same
way my *nix server daemons do.  There’s a reason for that.

Lots to say about threads, but well—that will need await another thread.

Very truly,

Samuel Adam ◊ <http://certifound.com/>
763 Montgomery Road ◊ Hillsborough, NJ  08844-1304 ◊ United States
Legal advice from a non-lawyer: “If you are sued, don’t do what the
Supreme Court of New Jersey, its agents, and its officers did.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2hEwBfU1g