On 21 Feb 2011, at 1:47am, Roger Binns wrote:

> On 02/20/2011 02:48 PM, Todd Shutts wrote:
>> The application
>> never used more than 10MB and it is currently using 57+MB and continues
>> to climb.
>
> The single most likely explanation is this is WAL in action, the memory is
> from a memory mapped file and a WAL checkpoint will release it.
>
>  http://www.sqlite.org/wal.html

Todd's question, or something like it, has been asked at least seven times on
this list in the seven months since WAL was released.  Might I suggest that an
explanation of WAL's use of lots of memory be placed higher up on that page and
headed something like "Memory usage" ?

Also, something like "May use many megabytes of memory between checkpoints."
should be listed in the 'disadvantages' list.  The explanation of checkpointing
is fine, but users don't know they need to read it until they've asked here.

Simon.