On 5 Mar 2011, at 11:21am, Enrico Thierbach wrote:

> using a different field would break associations between tables. For example:
>
> Assume we have tables a and b, and a join table as_to_bs. The a and b table
> both have a uniqueKey column, as you suggest, that will be set by a trigger.
> If two database applications create a and b objects that are joined (e.g.
>
>       a_rowid = INSERT INTO a VALUES("a")
>       b_rowid = INSERT INTO b VALUES("b")
>       INSERT INTO as_to_bs (a_id, b_id)

Then none of these things should be relating to the id field, they should
instead be relating to this new key field  you've made up:

INSERT INTO as_to_bs (a_mykey, b_mykey)

You're entering the realms of database synchronisation which is a whole kettle
of worms you really don't want to get into.

Simon.