I'm using sqlite in an iOS app, via the popular FMDB wrapper.

My profiling tool is showing me that the app is using 2.5 MB of memory
before a VACUUM, and nearly 6MB after.  The tool shows that the extra memory
was allocated by sqlite3MemMalloc().  If I close and re-open the database
then the extra memory usage goes away, returning to 2.5 MB.

Is there any sqlite function I can call, or some other technique, to reduce
the memory allocated and hung-onto by sqlite, particularly during a VACUUM?

It's possible but unlikely that the FMDB wrapper is affecting things.  I
haven't removed it from the equation to test, however.

Nick Hodap