Greetings.

I'm a committer for NHibernate who has been working on improving the
support for SQLite.  I've been able to get most of the over 3000 tests
passing on SQLite.  Kudos to Richard and the team for producing such
an impressive little database.  I wanted to share with you the main
limitations I found on this journey in the hopes that some day they
will no longer be limitations.  They are ordered by my view on their
importance.

1.  Support for a base-10 numeric data type.
2.  Support for altering tables (especially the removal or addition of
foreign keys).  Granted, tables can be updated by turning off foreign
key constraints, copying all data, manually checking foreign key
consistency, and then turning on foreign key constraints again.  Not
having the ability to alter tables ultimately leads to a great of
complexity in any system that has to deal with updating database
schemas.
3.  FULL OUTER JOIN support.  There are work-arounds, but implementing
those as part of NHibernate proved quite complicated, so I opted to
wait unless there seems to be extreme demand for it.
4.  Some sort of locate function to get the index of substring within
another string.  I couldn't even find any way to emulate this (aside
from user defined functions).
5.  Support for operations like "= all (subquery)", "= some
(subquery)", and "= any (subquery)".
6.  Better support for distributed transactions.  I don't pretend to
be an expert here, but it seems plausible that SQLite could
participate in a transaction across multiple databases.  Perhaps
implementing two phase commit would help with this.

Thanks for your consideration.

        Patrick Earl