Again a disclaimer: I use SQlite often e.g. for continuous testing and
in Desktop Apps. - and I like it as it is except for it's homepage
declaration and (more formally) for it kind of weak typing (meaning
'weak' compared to the information schema).

Weak typing in databases assigns the house keeping of consistency to
the writer - who is often unknown in database uses cases. And views
which are'nt able to keep and disclose their domain descriptor is a
'no-no' in database technology.

Can someone give me use cases on how weak typing is used?

Simon wrote:
> Stefan, please read this:
> http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt

Thank you for the weblink.
Here are some citations from it which could be of interest to you too
(see below).
I don't think SQLite supports that.
'Nough said?

Roger wrote:
> In other news people complained about those new fangled cars not behaving
> exactly like the horses they were used to.  Eventually they got over it and
> realised it was a wonderful improvement most of the time.

The citations of the SQL standard gives evidence that it's the other
way round: *You* are riding the horses.
But that's Ok to me as long as those riders declare that :->

Yours, Stefan

====

Excerpts from "ISO/IEC 9075:1992, Database Language SQL - July 30,
1992 (Second Informal Review Draft)",
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt :

4.1 Data Types
"SQL (....) defines distinct data types named by the following <key
word>s: CHARACTER, CHARACTER VARYING, BIT, BIT VARYING, NUMERIC,
DECIMAL, INTEGER, SMALLINT, FLOAT, REAL, DOUBLE PRECISION, DATE, TIME,
TIMESTAMP, and INTERVAL."

"(...) A data type descriptor includes an identification of the data
type and all information needed to characterize an instance of that
data type."

4.7 Domains
"A domain is described by a domain descriptor. (...)"

4.8  Columns
"(...) All values of the same column are of the same data type or
domain and are values in the same table.

4.12 Catalogs
"(...) An SQL-environment contains zero or more catalogs. A catalog
contains one or more schemas, but always contains a schema named
INFORMATION_SCHEMA that contains the views and domains of the
Information Schema."

====