On 29 Apr 2011, at 2:31am, Rich Rattanni wrote:

>> "You can access the ROWID of an SQLite table using one the special column
>> names ROWID, _ROWID_, or OID. Except if you declare an ordinary table column
>> to use one of those special names, then the use of that name will refer to
>> the declared column not to the internal ROWID."
>>
>> which suggests that referring to rowids is fine.
>
> It does not suggest referring to ROWIDs is fine, it only says that it
> can be done.  I think Pavel's point is that referencing ROWIDs is bad
> practice, so that is why he says you shouldn't do it.

The thing is, there's not problem with referring to rowid, or ROWID or any of
the other aliases when you do this.  The only problem is possible confusion for
the programmer if you define a column with one of these names which /isn't/ an
alias to SQLite's internal row numbers.  And it's just programmer confusion: if
you know exactly how SQLite handles this then it's fine.

Simon.