I found the R-Tree idea fascinating. Conceptually, this is exactly what I need.
But indeed, my case is very simple: my dataset is not sparse, my tiles never
overlap (for a given zoom factor), the number of tiles is still rather small,
they are all rectangular and the same size (modulo edge effects).

So while the asymptotic behavior of the R-Tree is likely to be much better, I
am more concerned with the behavior towards small data sizes...

The other important criterion is ease of implementation. Thanks to the SQLite
R-Tree extension, both ways seem equally easy.

I guess I'll start with my initial idea of a 3 column index, and experiment
with R-Tree a bit later.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jean-Denis