>I agree with what you stated but it would have been more clearer if
>the result of the update statement was a "RECORD NOT FOUND" return
>value since it did not find any that met the query's criteria. How can
>you say that the UPDATE was successful when the record you were
>looking for does not even exist in the DB?

You overlook that SQL is in essence a set-theoric language.  You tell
it to perform this os that change (update) over the set of record which
match this or that criterion.
That the concerned subset is populated or not doesn't change the
successful outcome of the operation.

Like in math: "return the set of primes integers that are integer
squares" gives the empty set, without any error.