>I understand the need for integrity when locking a database, but in
>this case I knew that the problem was caused by a (in all honesty, my)
>bug.  I tried rebooting the machine and it did not unlock the table.

Yeah, sometimes Windows will keep a lock on a file beyond reboot, which
is something I don't get.  That the file be an SQLite DB or whatever
else is irrelevant.

In such case, a good workaround is to install Unlocker (free).  It's an
excellent solution for this kind of weirdness.  Simply take care to
uncheck the last two adware items "proposed" during install.

I'm also not ashamed to warmly recommend SQLite Expert as well, either
in Personal (free) or Professionnal (payware) versions.