On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  From my limited testing on my web server [temporary files] are
> written in the same directory as the db file, but I would like them to
> be written to a separate directory.

See http://www.sqlite.org/tempfiles.html for a list of the various kinds of
temporary files used by SQLite.  Some of them (ex: the rollback journal)
must be in the same directory as the database file in order to ensure
recovery after a crash.

On unix, SQLite consults the TMPDIR environment variable to get the
directory for temporary files that are not in the same directory as the
database.  There are additional fallbacks if TMPDIR is not set.  On windows,
the GetTempPathW() interface is used to get the directory name.  Either
technique allows you, the sysop, to adjust the temporary directory location
without recompiling.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org