On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Jonathan Little <jlit...@ata-sd.com>wrote:

> This behavior seems undesirable to me -- we've got users of our application
> copying the database file using Windows Explorer while it's being written
> to, and ending up with inconsistent/corrupt databases. Am I missing
> something here or if I want to prevent this, is my only option to modify our
> build of SQLite to open the file for exclusive access?

When you say "inconsistent/corrupt databases" are you talking about the same
users trying to use this copied bases later or about the base uses while
this copy operation was in process and being corrupt after this?

If the former, as I see from winOpen (windows case), the sharing set as
FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE so there's no denying on the os level
during access to this file and the only option here is to implement your own
virtual file system for your files. But just curious, do you really want to
give your users an "official" way to manipulate sqlite files manually? I
know that many  advanced users know what sqlite really is and try to do some
back-up by hands, but they also should know that such knowledge voids
"warranty" in a sense

Max