> i saw the same behaviour with Oracle's CLI client
> ("sqlplus") - as long as i had sqlplus opened and connected, my PHP pages
> couldn't insert any data.
>
> i.e. this type of problem isn't limited to sqlite3.

This is completely unrelated because Oracle works differently. And if
you saw this locking most probably you had an open transaction in the
sqlplus. Note that OP's problem is specific to AFP and you won't see
such behavior e.g. on Linux with ext4 over NFS. I believe you won't
see such behavior on Windows over Samba either.

Pavel